It takes place either on the couch but mostly in Martin and my bed. I love that we're snuggled up together side-by-side and so we begin the process of reading, reading together. I am grateful for the familiar grounding presence as we travel through the pages. Sometimes the reader changes from month to month or even night to night, but there is always a reader nonetheless. It remains the loveliest way to drift into the land of nod.
Almost every night they beg for one more page, one more chapter, one more snuggle. A wonderful and special time. One that I will never tire of.
Some Tips on Reading Aloud to Your Children
- Let the children pick the book. Even if it means reading the same book over and over and over again!
- Try and visit the library to get new books. Nothing like letting the kids go wild for books.
- Build your own home library. Visit book stores together, garage sales or book sales.
- Try and read in the same place each night. Make it a comfy place. Children are creatures of habit and routine is comforting to them.
- Make reading time routine. If you cannot read at the same time each day make sure you put aside some time to read to them.
- Make reading aloud a priority.
- Turn the television off - make the book a focus.
Australia's famous author, Mem Fox has 10 Read Aloud Commandments - here