Thursday 8 March 2012

A Garden Full of Pesto

I've had a sick boy this week.  In fact, so sick that he has lost a bit of weight - weight that he can't afford to lose.  As I tucked him into bed last night I asked him if I could cook him something special for dinner tomorrow.  His response was "I spied some basil in the garden and it made me dream of pesto on spaghetti.  Can you please make that, Mum?"

His wish was my command, so, today I got some basil from our garden, and then headed back inside to make some pesto for my boys belly.



When making pesto I don't tend to measure my proportions but rather just a mix of salt, basil, toasted pine nuts (or walnuts) and olive oil.  I also add some parmesan cheese just before serving.

Years ago I made pesto with my mortar and pestle, but lately I've taken to making it in the food processor.  It's a lot quicker, ends up smoother and the kids seem to enjoy it more.  

What we don't eat right away, I spoon into glass jars and freeze for nights when I don't have time to cook. 

Fingers crossed that it fixes my boys belly.  He is off to school camp next week and he needs to be well for that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment