Tuesday 24 April 2012

Granny Squares

I had a reader email me and ask how to make a granny square.  I was going to put together a tutorial when I thought there are so, so many ways to make them and also so, so many tutorials already out there.  Saying that, I thought I'd list a few of my favourite granny square links.

My crochet experience started with miles and miles of chain stitch ropes and being taught the basic stitches - single crochet, double crochet and treble (triple) stitch.  My first true sense of achievement was when I created my first granny square.  I think I was about12 years of age and I remember being addicted.  I couldn't put that hook and wool down.  I've made numerous squares in a variety of ways since then.  Not only are they pretty but the colour combinations, sizes and shapes are endless.  So many possibilities  = FUN!

Source: flickr.com via Sara on Pinterest


My favourite tutorials:
  • Purl Bee - great step by step pictures and descriptions.  (You all know how much I love Purl Bee)
  • Handmadeology has a terrific list of granny square tutorials
  • I REALLY like the square in this tutorial by Linda Permann.  The 'plus' sign in the middle makes for a cute granny square.
  • This pattern from Yarning is simple and pretty but ever so slightly different than the others 
  • If you are feeling ambitious, there is Craftyminx's A Granny A Day 
  • Carina's Craft Blog has a nice tutorial as well
  • If you are comfortable with the basic crochet stitches this tutorial on Wisecraft is a simple granny square that starts with a circle centre
If you have any questions or queries, please don't hesitate to email me or to leave a comment.

Once you have mastered the square, the question is - what to do with all the squares?

I'll be back with that post tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! These are lovely. And you started since 12? Wow! I just started in 2012(*feel old)

    Thank you for listing out these links :)

    ReplyDelete