The Lego revolution has been going on for many years at our house. The Lego comes out daily. When the kids were younger we kept all the pieces in their box sets but over the years we ended up with one messy big ol' basket full of 1000's of pieces. This caused no end of frustration as it would take the kids forever to find an itty bitty elusive piece that lurked in a tiny nook or was hidden under another piece.
And so began the process of working out the perfect functional sorting system. I decided to organise the major pieces in colour. I ended up using plastic containers and labelling them.
I wanted the boxes to be accessible, visual and easily identified.
For the smaller pieces I used used a small sorting box. I put all the Lego people in the largest compartment, small round pieces in another, small square pieces in another and in the other sections I sorted out all the connected pieces that seemed to cause the most worry when they weren't found.
The new system seems to be working a treat.
The kids have been great at packing the boxes away properly.
We'll see how long it lasts...hmmm!